In this article, we will be talking about the applicable considerations as well as basic requirements to any animals that are being transported. Without further ado, let us kick it off…


First things first, you need to secure a CVI, which is basically an abbreviation for Certificate of Veterinary Inspection. This is otherwise called as health certificate. Simply speaking, this is the official document that’s issued by any of the following:

  • Accredited Veterinarian
  • Tribal
  • State or;
  • Federal

This is given to certify that animals that were identified on the paperwork have been thoroughly inspected and found to meet regulations in relation to its intended movement.

There are territories, states, countries and at times, public mode of transportation that have restrictions and specific requirements for animal transportation.

The regulations are set in place in order to protect the people, the ecosystem and the animals being transported by means of guarding against unexpected spread of pests, dangerous diseases, injurious and invasive animals.

Most of the time, CVI is required by authorities at the destination where the animals would be transported.

It’s your job to secure this information from the point of origin ahead of time to avoid problems along the way. When moving animals, there are multi level option too that can be used to maximize the space. Again, this has to be secured in the CVI if this will be allowed or not.

Set a Meeting with Your Vet for Animal Exam

Any animals being transported ought to be healthy to travel and as per the destination’s regulations, there might be extra health prerequisites on the animals including but not limited to:

  • Tests
  • Certifications
  • Vaccinations
  • Identification

Be Truthful with Your Vet

Destination authorities which can be your country’s embassy or consulate, territory or state animal health department and the likes might have sent you very specific forms or information that have to be shared with or has to be signed by your vet. It is your vet who will have to create copies of the materials to help in processing of CVI for recordkeeping.